Sunday, December 02, 2007

2 Thessalonians, in present tense

My friend Alison spoke at our church service last night. So good. She actually story-told us (just made that guy up) through the first half of the book of Numbers in the Bible. But her main focus was on faith -- this idea that God is always trying to build our individual faith through everything that happens in our lives, especially the crappy stuff. A lot of the same thoughts that my previous post came out of, ironically.

For me, the dialogue was pretty much summed up by these verses out of 2 Thessalonians (emphasis mine):

1:3 We ought always to thank God for you, brothers, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love every one of you has for each other is increasing. 1:4 Therefore, among God's churches we boast about your perseverance and faith in all the persecutions and trials you are enduring.
May my faith grow
& my love increase.
Genuinely.

If you wanna listen to the talk, it'll get posted soon: http://illinilife.org/study/

3 Comments:

Blogger josh w said...

You might like reading St. John of the Cross. I'm reading him right now and it is pretty much about trial and the felt absence of God, and how this purifies one's faith. It has a similar theme to what she talked about last night.

Be sure not to forget the other lesson you learned last night. Your stepdad's not mean.

He's just adjusting.

12/2/07, 11:27 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

HA!

Nice. I've gotta watch that movie again and remember the rest of the words to that song :)

(For those of you confused, reference Death to Smoochie. It'll be .... uh .. weird)

12/2/07, 11:34 PM  
Blogger Amy Van-Mod said...

Glad the talk spoke to where you're at. Sounds like it's kinda a rough place but also hopefully where God can speak to you in that place.
(I always hesitate to respond to stuff like that b/c I don't want to sound like I'm assuming I know exactly where you're at personally).

After hearing you guys laugh so hard after that movie (which was quite amusing even w/o knowing what you were laughing about) makes me rethink if it really would be a movie worth seeing. . . :-p
See you tonight!

12/4/07, 1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home