Monday, March 03, 2008

Everything Matters

A fictional character, Mack, talks with God face to face about purpose:

"Let me ask you something. Is what I do back home important? Does it matter? I really don't do much other than working and caring for my family and friends…"

[God] interrupted him. "Mack, if anything matters then everything matters. Because you are important, everything you do is important. Every time you forgive, the universe changes; every time you reach out and touch a heart or a life, the world changes; with every kindness and service, seen or unseen, my purposes are accomplished and nothing will ever be the same again."
-- The Shack, William P. Young

Something interesting to think about. One of the qualities of God that makes me fall in love with him is his Beauty, Perfection, His Holiness at orchastrating all of His creation. Rarely do I credit my decisions and actions with such intensity in that process. Gives a bit of a more humbling eternal persecptive, huh?

This concept of everything having eternal significance reminds me of Rob Bell's lastest "talk", Everything's Spiritual.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy Van-Mod said...

Did you read this book in full? It's been on my list of books to eventually get to. Would you say it was worth the read? (I've got spring break coming up and I'm looking forward to reading through a book or two of non-textbook related material)

3/3/08, 6:46 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

ummm, well here's the deal. The recommendation to read it came really really really strong ... which (as is the case most times) kinda set me up for being a little disappointed, does that make sense?

There were a few points where I had to be intentional in reading it (as oppose to a big page-turner), but again, I think that's because it was "over-pitched" to me.

I would still recommend reading it... mainly 'cause I'd love to hear what you think and be able to discuss parts :)

I have it, and I'm done reading it if you wanna borrow it -- anytime dear.

3/3/08, 10:58 PM  
Blogger nick said...

Very interesting. I just started reading this book tonight, received it in the mail from a certain young lady's father. I'll have to let you know what I think of it as I work my way through it.

3/4/08, 10:47 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

"Everything Is Spiritual" is what I thought of first too. Rob Bell's "Open" Nooma too. His ideas that every decision we make is a spiritual decision and that the way we act on the world will either bring it closer to Heaven or closer to Hell.

That's an idea I can really get behind. In which direction are you taking the world?

3/10/08, 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home